Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas of the Site designed for public communications or communications among registered class members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the Site. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).CONSENT TO PROCESSING OUTSIDE HOME COUNTRY
If you do not agree with these terms, then please do not access, browse, or register for the Site. If you choose not to provide us with certain information required to provide you with various services offered on our Site, you may not be able to establish a user account and we may not be able to provide you with those servicesPERSONAL INFORMATION
We endeavor to limit the collection of Personal Information to what we need with respect to specific Site activities in order to satisfy business, legal, or regulatory requirements. For purchasing SkillUp Online courses you will be directed to our third party payment processor; and the submission of your payment information will be subject to the terms found at the payment landing page accessible via SkillUp Online Terms of ServiceINFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect information, including Personal Information (described above), when you sign up for a user account, purchase online courses, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We also collect certain usage information about student performance and patterns of learning. In addition, we track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used
We may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software used by each user of the Site, and we may be able to determine from an IP address a user's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity. Various web analytics tools are used to collect this information. Some of the information is collected through cookies (small text files placed on your computer that store information about you, which can be accessed by the Site). You should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the "Help" section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookies, many functions and conveniences of this Site may not work properly.USE AND DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES
Among other things, we and our partners & members that provide courses through SkillUp Online (the "Members") may use the information about you collected through the Site (including your Personal Information) in connection with the following. In cases where we share or disclose your Personal Information: (1) the third party recipients are required to handle the Personal Information in a confidential manner and to maintain adequate security to protect the information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction; and (2) we will only disclose and share the Personal Information that is required by the third party to fulfill the purpose stated at the time of collection.
- To enable the Members to provide, administer, and improve the courses
- To help us and the Members improve SkillUp Online offerings, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualize the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Site and the impact of SkillUp Online on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education.
- For the purpose for which you specifically provided the information, for example, to respond to a specific inquiry or provide you with access to the specific course content and/or services you select.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyze statistics on student performance and how students learn
- To monitor and detect violations of the Honor Code, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Site.
- To publish information, but not Personal Information, gathered about SkillUp Online access, use, impact, and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by SkillUp Online or other events, to send you communications about products or services of SkillUp Online, SkillUp Online affiliates, or selected business partners that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Site maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Site and our software, systems, and network.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- To authenticate your identity when you register for a paid certificate.
- To process refunds, as applicable
- We will share information we collect with the Members, and we and the Members may share this information (including Personal Information) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our or the Members' behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the Site, processing purchases via third party providers, and other transactions through the Site, operating the Site or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of SkillUp Online or Member services.
- With other visitors to the Site, to the extent that you submit comments, course work, or other information or content (collectively, "Postings") to a portion of the Site designed for public communications; and with other members of an SkillUp Online class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the Site designed for viewing by those class members. We may provide your Postings to students who later enroll in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware, or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the Site, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with your express permission), but we may use your username without your consent.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Information about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law and is limited to the Personal Information required to fulfill the purposes stated at the time of collection.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific study partners or connect potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by SkillUp Online.
- In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners.
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the SkillUp Online Site and requests to the SkillUp Online learner support team. SkillUp Online will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly, when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. SkillUp Online will notify you in the event that SkillUp Online is unable to meet a request that is not legally required.Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your SkillUp Online account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your SkillUp Online account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact SkillUp Online learner support to access and update this or other information.Exceptions:
Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is a SkillUp Online system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the SkillUp Online Site, SkillUp Online encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
SkillUp Online does not track or index every time or every place on the SkillUp Online Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so SkillUp Online will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. SkillUp Online encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the SkillUp Online Site.Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages or contact SkillUp Online learner support. You may object to, or request that SkillUp Online stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the SkillUp Online learner support team. Please note that if you choose to restrict SkillUp Online’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the SkillUp Online Site, you may not be able to establish an SkillUp Online user account or enroll for a course, and SkillUp Online may not be able to provide you with those services or products.Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your SkillUp Online account and Personal Information, you may contact SkillUp Online learner support. Because deletion on the SkillUp Online system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, SkillUp Online may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the SkillUp Online account affected by your request.
With respect to your SkillUp Online account, SkillUp Online will permanently:
- deactivate your SkillUp Online account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from SkillUp Online email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, SkillUp Online will permanently delete your SkillUp Online account profile Personal Information from the SkillUp Online Site.
As noted above, to the extent that SkillUp Online associates the information that SkillUp Online collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your SkillUp Online account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your SkillUp Online account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the SkillUp Online Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.Exceptions:
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally "age-off" the SkillUp Online system.
- SkillUp Online does not track or index every time or every place on the SkillUp Online Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so SkillUp Online will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. SkillUp Online encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the SkillUp Online Site.
- SkillUp Online will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages.
- SkillUp Online cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the SkillUp Online Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- SkillUp Online will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
SkillUp Online will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with SkillUp Online’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that SkillUp Online deactivate your account and delete your information, SkillUp Online will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages.STORAGE & SECURITY
SkillUp Online stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that SkillUp Online hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where SkillUp Online operates, and in countries where SkillUp Online’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that SkillUp Online may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
SkillUp Online controls its own copy of information collected through the SkillUp Online Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. SkillUp Online uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, SkillUp Online cannot guarantee its absolute security. While SkillUp Online works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, SkillUp Online cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent "hackers" or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the information we maintain about you, please contact us at [email protected].Effective Date:
May 14, 2018